Inside a HeatStick (HEETS and NeoStik)
What are HeatSticks made out of? Do they have filters like traditional cigarettes? How is the tobacco cut and packed?
In this post we’ll look at 3 different types of HeatSticks; IQOS HEETS, GLO NeoStiks, and Healcier nicotine-free HeatSticks to see what’s inside.
Inside a HEET there is 4 different components; a filter at the mouthpiece, a film filter, a hollow tube, and a tobacco plug.
- Filter (Mouthpiece) – Cellulose acetate filter – soft, squishy, feels a bit like a mix between cotton and styrofoam.
- Film Filter – A natural polymer film filter that is made with corn-starch – feels like plastic, but is not.
- Hollow Tube – Cellulose acetate tube – soft, squishy, feels a bit like a mix between cotton and styrofoam.
- Tobacco Plug – appears to have been dried, chopped, soaked in glycerine, made into a paste, dried again, then cut into strips.
Each HEET consists of 18 milligrams of nicotine.
PMI does not have an official, universal listing of HEETS ingredients but does allow users access to ingredient listings based on country of purchase on the company’s official website. HEETS ingredients, particularly additives, can differ based on region. Unfortunately, not all countries are listed.
Click here for a review of HEETS flavors.
GLO NeoStiks have 4 main components: a hollow tube at the mouthpiece, a filter, a hollow tube, and reconstituted tobacco.
- Tube (Mouthpiece): hollow, feels like it’s made from material similar to bristol board.
- Filter: Soft, squishy, not hollow, felt a bit like a mix between cotton and styrofoam.
- Tube: hallow, feels like it’s made from material similar to bristol board.
- Reconstituted Tobacco: appears to have been chopped, soaked, dried
Like other big tobacco companies, BAT isn’t very open about the actual ingredients in NeoStiks and when we contacted them, they would not divulge the exact amount of tobacco within each NeoStick. We do know, however, they contain reconstituted tobacco, glycerol, and flavorings, but have very few specifics beyond that.
Click here for a review of NeoStik flavors.
Healcier Nicotine-Free HeatStick
Healcier HeatSticks have 3 main components: a filter at the mouthpiece, what we’re guessing is a tube (?), and the “tobacco” plug.
- Filter (Mouthpiece): Soft, squishy, not hollow, felt a bit like a mix between cotton and styrofoam.
- Tube (?): We’re guessing that this is supposed to act like a hollow tube. Bendable rubber-like material, shaped like a + with divots running through the length of the body.
- “Tobacco” Plug: appears to have been dried, chopped, soaked in glycerine, made into a paste, dried again, then cut into strips. Actual substance is unknown
It seems that Healcier has not released it’s list of ingredients, however the company has shared that the main ingredients are various plant extracts.
Click here for a review of nicotine-free HeatStick flavors.